Pupils may use the resources of the Library and Media Centre before college, during break, lunchtime and after college. During lessons, access is allowed only with a teacher’s permission written in a planner, or as a group accompanied by a teacher.
A wide range of books for academic work and reading for pleasure is stocked and arranged in the same way as a public library:
Fiction books are arranged alphabetically by author’s surname.
Non-fiction books are arranged using the Dewey Decimal Classification Scheme.
There are also Reference Books such as dictionaries, encyclopaedias, altases, etc which may not be borrowed.
There are also many DVDs for borrowing, but these are for overnight only. Failure to return an overnight loan on time will result in a small fine per day.
Other Resources include:
- Computers connected to the college network and the Internet
- A specialist careers section featuring local college prospectuses
- Recent copies of national and local newspapers
- A selection of current magazines
- A photocopier
- A guillotine
All books, except those marked Reference, may be borrowed for two weeks. After that time, pupils are expected either to renew the loan or return the item. Pupils may usually borrow up to four items of any one time.
The Library’s catalogue, called SearchStar, is available on the college network on the Internet homepage.
The Virtual Library
Members of the college community have access to our VLE (Virtual Learning Environment) and the Library has quite a growing presence there.
The Virtual Library is your pathway to:
- a catalogue of the Library’s resources known as SearchStar
- more ideas for reading, with lists of suggested reading and links to reading and author websites
- Hotlists of relevant websites for curriculum topics
- help advice on information literacy with topics like website evaluation referencing plagiarism, researching
- news about promotions, competitions, author visits, book awards, etc
- a presentation about library basics
Always ask if you need any help
|Library Resource Manager||Mrs F Wilkins, BA, MCLIP|